You can use your android mobile camera as webcam. With that, you can have video call, video chat etc on any video based chat or calling application like Yahoo messenger, gtalk, skype etc on your laptop or desktop PC.
There are many softwares available on the internet. I tried SmartCam app. Below are the steps.
Steps to use your android phone cam as webcam
- Goto http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartcam/?source=typ_redirect
- Download SmartCam_v1_4.exe to your desktop PC or laptop and install it
- Goto http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartcam/files/smartcam_android/SmartCamAndroid_v1_4_0/
- Download SmartCamAndroid_v1_4_0.apk and copy to your phone memory and install it on your android mobile phone.
- Open SmartCam app which is installed on your PC. Goto File->Settings-> Select connection as TCP/IP (WiFi)-> Note down port number -> Select Video capture codec as None and click on OK button.
- Open SmartCam app on your android phone. Goto Settings
- In Connection type settings, Select Connection type as TCP/IP (WiFi)
- In TCP/IP (WiFi) settings, click on Remote server
- Enter IP address of your PC and click OK button
To find IP address of your PC
a. Click on “Start” button
b. Type CMD in search programs and Files box and press Enter button. CMD window will open.
c. Type ipconfig and click on Enter button. You will find your windows IP configuration settings
d. Find IPv4 address. This is your PC IP address
e. Click on Port Number in SmartCam settings on mobile. Enter it (Refer step 5) and click OK button
9. Go back to SmartCam video
10. You will see “Connect WiFi” option beside Settings
- Click on Connect WiFi
- Make sure WiFi/internet is enabled on your Android phone.
- You will see your mobile cam preview on SmartCam app on you PC. You will see SmartCam – Connected message on SmartCam app on your phone and Connected message on SmartCam app on PC.
- If it is desktop PC, make sure your mobile phone is connected to PC using a USB cable.
That’s it. Now you can use this cam as webcam and you can use it for Yahoo messenger video call, Skype etc.
Note: Above steps are using WiFi connection between PC and Android phone. You can use Bluetooth also.