Gutenberg was released with WordPress 5.0 and whoever updated to wordpress 5.0 or above got the new editor called Gutenberg. So the old classic WordPress editor was replaced by the new one.
Many people wanted to switch back to old classic editor as they found bit difficulty in using the Gutenberg. Also, i have seen that people posted at various online forums saying that they have few premium themes/plugins which are not compatible with Gutenberg.
So many people already switched to the old classic WordPress editor. I recommend to use the old one only if you are facing some issue with Gutenberg.
There is a simple WordPress plugin called ‘classic editor‘ which quickly reverts to old classic editor. you just need to install and activate it. Using this, you can also switch between Gutenberg and classic editor. This plugin has more than 3 million installations.
Installing Classic Editor plugin
- Login to wordpress
- On wordpress dashboard, Goto Plugins -> Add New
- Type Classic Editor in Plugins Search box on top-right
- you will see “Classic Editor” plugin in the search results
- Install it and activate
Open a new post, you will see the old classic editor.
If you would like to switch between Gutenberg and Classic Editor, then
- click on three vertical dots icon on the top-right.
- Go down, You will see ‘switch to classic editor’ or ‘switch to Gutenberg’ in plugins section.
- just click on that to switch to the editor that you want. That’s it :).
Comment if you still face any issues. I will help.