By default, all the files are unhidden or visible on windows. You can make a file or folder hidden or visible by changing its properties.
Steps to hide a file or folder on windows 7
- Right click on the folder
- Click on Properties
- In Attributes, Select Hidden checkbox
- Click on Apply
- If the selected folder contains subfolders or files, then a window pops up asking whether to hide the folder only or to hide folder, its subfolders and files
Note : If you select Apply changes to this Folder only, then when you open the folder, its subfolders and files will be visible.
If you select Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files option, then when you open the folder, it’s subfolders and files won’t visible (means hidden).
- The hidden folder icon appears to be dimmed. If the hidden folder is still visible, then Goto Tools -> Folder options…
- Goto view tab, Select Don’t show hidden files, folders or drives check box
- Click Apply and OK button. The hidden folder will disappear.
Note: Except 5th step, all above steps are applicable to hide a file also.