Suppose, if you have purchased hosting plan on Hostgator and registered a domain on GoDaddy, then follow below steps to host your GoDaddy domain on Hostgator. This article explains how to add a domain (Registered with other domain registrar like GoDaddy) on Hostgator, install WordPress on it and point it to Hostgator server.
Adding a domain on Hostgator
- Login into your Hostgator account at https://portal.hostgator.com/login
- Click on Hosting tab
- Under “Most Popular Links”, click on “Addon Domains”. A new window will be opened.
- Enter the details as shown in below pic. Note: Replace “yourdomainname” with your actual domain name.
- Click on “Add Domain” button
The domain name will be added to your Addon domains on Hostgator.
Installing WordPress on the domain on Hostgator
- Login to your Hostgator account
- Click “Hosting” tab
- Under “Special Offers”, click on “Get Started with WordPress Today”. A new window opens
- Click on “Install WordPress”
- Enter the details like shown below (example shown. Enter your domain details) and click “Install WordPress” button.
- On successful installation, you will see a popup at top of the page like shown below.
- Click on “View Credentials” down arrow to see your site WordPress login URL, username and password details.
Now you have WordPress installed on your domain. But one more, last important step.
Changing the Nameservers on GoDaddy
Nameservers point to your site where it is located (installed). If you don’t change the Nameservers on GoDaddy with Hostgator Nameservers, you will see error when you try to open your WordPress site/login URL.
Follow the steps mentioned in below link to change the Nameservers on GoDaddy.
Changing nameservers on GoDaddy
Done. It takes some time. Try to reload your site WordPress login page,It will open. Happy blogging 🙂